Wednesday, November 24, 2010

One of the pitfalls

So when I started on this journey of mine, one of the hopeful outcomes was losing some weight and getting healthier. And I am on my way to that achievement.

But with any journey, there are pitfalls. There are bad ones, like when the scale is being stupid and telling you that your weight is up for the week when you really did nothing to necessitate that. But there are good ones, too.

Example of the Patriots jersey I can no longer wear!
The best pitfall is that everything is bigger now. The obvious first thing is clothes, and I find myself not being able to wear that favorite sweatshirt or Patriots jerseys because, well, it looks ridiculous now because it hangs on me like a dress. But boy is that a good feeling. There was nothing better than when I was getting ready to head out to watch a Pats game earlier this season, pulled out the old #12 Brady authentic jersey, put it on and … POW … saw the thing fall to my knees. And this was a jersey that, at times, may have been snug. Now, it hangs in the closet, waiting for a good washing before it goes up on eBay, because the hope here is that I won’t ever have to wear a jersey that big again. (And that goes with just about every other sport-type article I own. There will be a lot of activity in the coming weeks of me selling stuff that is way too big. Hopefully the proceeds help negate the cost of some replacements!)

Another item was a pair of Reebok Zigs that I bought this spring at the Reebok store in
Patriots Place
. And these things weren’t cheap, like $100-for-the-pair not cheap. Now, they are way too big for my feet. Did I lose weight in my feet? Guess so, because I can’t walk around with these sneakers on anymore without my feet falling out of them. Literally. And, again, these sneakers were probably a tad tight at purchase time.


The Reebok Zigs I can no longer wear.

The one good thing, and KC and Jen were witnesses (whether they were paying attention and/or remember is a different story) is that the Reebok people told me that there is some sort of “lifetime guarantee” on the Zigs and they would take them back for an exchange at any time. It might be time to test that theory and see if I can’t get a new pair of sneakers!

But one of the more satisfying pitfalls was my wedding ring. When Jen and I got married, the ring I got had to be extended to basically the biggest size they had. It was a size 14, and I remember the jeweler saying that there was no way this ring could be extended to be bigger. As I started to lose some weight, the ring started to get looser. And looser. And looser, until one day I was in the office talking with my co-worker Brian and made a motion with my hand. The next sound we heard was my ring bouncing off the wall. It flew clear off my hand. So I stopped wearing the ring for the week for fear of losing it because it just fell off my hand.

A couple of weeks back, Jen and I went to Kay Jewelers to have her rings cleaned and fixed and mine resized. The woman was going through the key chain with all the different sizes for a few minutes until one actually fit.

Size 11.5.

We just got the message last night that the rings are back in and ready to be picked up. While the prospect of dealing with Christmas crowds at Emerald Square Mall is very unappealing, being able to pick up my wedding ring and being able to wear it again is something I very much look forward to.

For the past two weeks, Jen and I have joked that it is like we are engaged again, since both our wedding bands had to be sent out to get fixed. It has been very strange not having my wedding ring on, I must say. But I will soon have it snugly on my finger, and what a good feeling that will be!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this blog! These pitfalls really sound like little "joys". I mean yes it stinks spending money on new things...but just think how good you are going to look in them all!!!

    ReplyDelete